Author Topic: Custom Magic Disciplines - Applications  (Read 8556 times)

Mad Murdock

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Magic Disciplines - Applications
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2017, 07:28:18 AM »
After those fix-ups, and a minor re-structure of a sentence, I think Gist is all good to go!

2/2 approved! I'll add it onto the approved topic.
"Your grasp of the English language never ceases to amaze me" - LovedthenhatedErskine [27 May 2015]

*i've got a question for you; do you think that even the worst person can change?
*heh...
*here's a better question for you

*D O  Y O U  W A N T  T O  H A V E  A  B A D  T I M E ?

TheCaptainSargey

• Grand Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 14, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »
Thanking you
Advocado toast is ruining the economy

Gideon

• Grand Mage
    • The Monster of the East
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2019, 05:54:34 PM »
Innael Bainte
(Necromancy and Umbraturgy)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:59:06 PM by Gideon »

Charlotte

• Lurker
  • Legendary Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 09, 2019, 05:15:42 AM »
1. First comment will actually be that I'm glad we aren't using a -mancy suffix for death magic. However; could I get an etymology for the name? Given you have thought about where such practises would have originated it would be nice to know exactly how it got this name instead of the common Necromancy.
2. How is Kage Nage and Tenevoye Oruzhiye pronounced?
3. [vis a vis Necromancers personalising shadows] How is this done? Would you have to be a master? And what reason would most necromancers have for an aesthetic change in their shadows? I'm also assuming there is no practical use here.
4. [-death energy] may be worth mentioning the temples here, then. and why necromancers tend to chill around areas such as graveyards. does a mages death give more power than a normal mortal?
5. [vis a vis shadows and bloodshed] given most necromancers in the books and temples are not really combatant, I strongly feel this is not the case. it is merely experience, location (how many dead are there/what the death energy is like there) and practise.
6. [shadow transport] the latter application usually requires the user be dead, as stated by Nye. It is simply too OP for any normal necromancer - even your old and overpowered characters - to have such extensive use of their ability with flight.
7. ["godlike"] Is this the best descriptor? No normal mage should have their power, especially in a roleplay setting, likened to that of the gods.
9. [zombies] Almost all the zombies in the books were not actually mindless upon creation -- however, the Hollow Men were, and I'm pretty sure that they were the result of necromancy, so it may be putting a bit in about them as it feels you're deviating a little far from SP at this point.
10. [lichs, jesus christ... lichs...] What is the power and application needed for creating something so powerful? Especially considering as I stated before -- in the books, Nye states that necromancy with any dead being is incredibly powerful and unstable so the magic a lich would have is... oof.
11. [vis-a-vis resurrection of the soul in body with both still intact] For how long can they do this? Will there be a time it can no longer remain, for all intents and purposes, "living". Can they do anything other than talk and amble about a bit?
12. [the death bubble] Just insanity? That's the only downside? This is simply too OP as it is, then. Many Necromancers can be walking bombs without anything other than insanity and "possible" death (which many RP'ers will likely ignore knowing that they can create such a thing), this either needs nerfing or more reason not to do it.
13. ["created in the forge just after a user's Surge"] Incorrect, otherwise young mages couldn't start to learn this discipline -- all the Necromancers in the books got their objects before their Surge. I mean Val never reached her Surge in the books (in the later ones she was still undecided as to which discipline to use) and she had her object forged so that she could learn Necromancy. It was never thought of as a discipline that you could use without an object -- or someone else's object willingly being given to you (which again, it was said any mage could do).
14. [IM] Is this personalised to the user?

It's solid, I think that as it is it is a little bit OP and needs some tweaking. On top of some lore checks; it deviates from the SP world just a little too much for me to be comfortable with it as Necromancy is one of the established disciplines so we already know some of the rules behind it.

I was asked by Docky to review this before anyone slides in with their butthurt.
Quote from: Prince Robot IV
Belay that goaty.

Mad Murdock

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2019, 09:34:47 PM »
Waiting one these alterations, Gid.  Then I'll be happy to approve for you.  Keep my posted!
"Your grasp of the English language never ceases to amaze me" - LovedthenhatedErskine [27 May 2015]

*i've got a question for you; do you think that even the worst person can change?
*heh...
*here's a better question for you

*D O  Y O U  W A N T  T O  H A V E  A  B A D  T I M E ?