Poll

Which is your favourite series? (2005 onwards)

Series 1
5 (15.6%)
Series 2
1 (3.1%)
Series 3
5 (15.6%)
Series 4
2 (6.3%)
2008-2010 Specials
4 (12.5%)
Series 5
4 (12.5%)
Series 6
3 (9.4%)
Series 7 Part 1
2 (6.3%)
Series 7 Part 2
0 (0%)
2013 Specials
3 (9.4%)
Series 8 (2014)
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 60446 times)

Keilax

• Archmage
    • Pronounced: KEE-Lacks
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #2550 on: November 21, 2017, 07:21:18 PM »
I don't like Jodie's outfit really. Although I find it quite cool they're going for that 3rd Doctor era TARDIS exterior.

Captain Phill Jupitus

• Roleplayer
  • Grand Mage
    • Snerg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: December 26, 2017, 03:29:35 PM »
yeah, i just watched capaldi regenerate on youtube

llama that noise, i wasnt gonna watch the episode

ExtraterrestrialGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: December 26, 2017, 03:52:40 PM »
I watched it this morning and thought it was quite good. It acts as a nice epilogue to the brilliant Series 10 finale.

The running "gag" of the First Doctor being a sexist was annoying though. They misrepresented the character to show how progressive the series is now. Other than that, I really liked his role in the episode and how they transitioned to/from the old footage.

Keilax

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: January 07, 2018, 06:18:02 PM »
I like Hayley Atwell, but I'd never watch again if they changed the Doctor to a girl.

Does this still hold true, ET?

ExtraterrestrialGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: January 07, 2018, 11:35:54 PM »
Of course.

I hope it continues to do well though.

Keilax

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: January 08, 2018, 12:38:21 AM »
I've been rewatching all of New Who from Eccleston to now and the last few days rating each story (so if it was a two later, they're ranked together. Which isn't always great for episodes that are great individually, but their other part isn't) and then calculating the average score for each series. I've actually been quite surprised at my own scores.

I may post them when I've finished (currently about to rewatch series 9), although of course they're all 100% my opinion, so they're far from fact. I dunno, if anyone is interested.

MissMacabre

• Lurker
  • Mortal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: December 21, 2018, 07:18:54 PM »
Bumping this so people can talk about S11 now that it's aired!

***YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ THE REST AT ALL, IT'S JUST ME SULKING***

Personally, I'm not following Doctor Who anymore. When Whittaker was cast, I felt in my bones that it was politically motivated and I was really tentative about the new series. I also had this weird gut feeling that I would stop watching Doctor Who. I didn't go off about it or anything but safe to say I wasn't hyped about "omg wamanz" or anything. I was pretty vocal on Twitter that I hoped the new series would be good and not tread into super Fem!Power territory and that I'd stick around to see how it goes. I received so much hate and vitriol from the fandom ("a woman who isn't hyped? must be internal misogyny!") that I was forced to shut up and just sit quietly until very recently.
Every piece of female empowerment marketing, dismissal of past Doctors, and ham-fisted interview pushed me further and further away from Doctor Who.

I watched the first few episodes. I liked the arachnid one...and I love Bradley Walsh...but wow I don't like this series at all. I grew so bored that I just stopped watching. I'm guessing it's finished by now because it's nearly Christmas but I wouldn't know. Just dropped it out of my life. I didn't even miss it. My favourite show.

I've already voiced my opinion on it (finally, after a long time of being too scared to) so I'll copy paste it here:
(click to show/hide)

I think I understand what that gut feeling was now. Before Peter was announced, I'd nearly dropped out of the Doctor Who fandom due to really not enjoying Matt Smith's era. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with his era (apart from that convoluted plot arc in S6, what was that?) but it really wasn't my thing. I felt disconnected from it because I prefer my Doctors a little bit aloof and witty, like Jon Pertwee or Tom Baker. I watched each episode but I just felt so drained and not into it...and then one of my favourite actors was announced as the role and I sprang back, knowing it'd be okay.

To be short regarding Peter Capaldi (because I could write you an essay), he's an important person to me. It sounds stupid so I won't go into it, but let's just leave it at this:
(click to show/hide)

He's important and once he was leaving, it felt like I was drifting back to where I was before he was announced; disconnection.

***END OF SULKING***

I didn't revive this to start a debate or anything, just to encourage people here to update others with how much they enjoyed S11 or whatever and let people know why I won't be following it at all.
(unless someone wants to mention Classic Who or Peter Capaldi in here at all, then tag me!)

Have fun, guys!

- The Twelfth Doctor

|Extended Signature|