Poll

Which is your favourite of the Skulduggery books?

Skulduggery Pleasant
Playing With Fire
The Faceless Ones
Dark Days
Mortal Coil
Death Bringer
The End of the World
Kingdom of the Wicked
The Maleficent Seven
Last Stand of Dead Men
Armageddon Out of Here
The Dying of the Light

Author Topic: Favorite Books?  (Read 6778 times)

Artemis Folke

• Apprentice Mage
    • Artemis Folke
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Books?
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2015, 02:11:09 PM »
None of the books really ever disappointed me. They all added so much to my life, so much inspiration.

Last Stand of Dead Men made me truly realise the occasional shocking cost of loving books. And it was amazing.

Agreed. I mean... I cried and I was shocked and horrified, but at the same time it felt sort of good to be that torn up by a book. The feeling is just so there, you know what I mean?
"Dress suitably in short skirts and strong boots, leave your jewels in the bank, and buy a revolver." – eternally relevant fashion advice from Countess Markievicz, Irish revolutionalist

// Why not be utterly changed into fire? //

Shrek

• Lurker
  • Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2015, 11:38:19 AM »
LSODM disappointed me a little because I was expecting it to be as good as DB and KOTW but it wasn't, not quite
"Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but refuse. They cling to the realm, or love, or the gods... illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is." - Petyr Baelish

Darkwave

• Lurker
  • Apprentice Mage
    • Darkwave Necro
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2016, 12:58:47 PM »
the first trilogy was good but the next trilogies were so much better, however I found TEOTW very dissapointing, I was expecting more from the "last" book of the series, I felt like it wasn't even SP anymore.
Im not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

FelixNoble

• Supporter
  • Grand Mage
    • Felix Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »
the first trilogy was good but the next trilogies were so much better, however I found TEOTW very dissapointing, I was expecting more from the "last" book of the series, I felt like it wasn't even SP anymore.

You mean TDOTL? TEOTW was the short story with Ryan and Deacon Maybury.

Darkwave

• Lurker
  • Apprentice Mage
    • Darkwave Necro
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2016, 07:59:47 PM »
Yes, TDOTL, sorry, I confused the two :/

Shrek

• Lurker
  • Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2017, 01:59:51 PM »
in descending order:

KOTW

TDOTL

Mortal Coil

Death Bringer

LSODM

Faceless Ones

Resurrection

Playing with Fire

Skulduggery Pleasant

Dark Days
"Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but refuse. They cling to the realm, or love, or the gods... illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is." - Petyr Baelish

Keilax

• Archmage
    • Pronounced: KEE-Lacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 03, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »
I'll try my own list:
This list contains spoilers. If you haven't read all the original books...what, what are you doing? Stop reading this list and read them! Then come back. Don't put them off any longer. Fulfil your dr-I'm going off topic now. Anywho...

Best to worse: (Only counting the main books for now. Maleficent Seven, side stories and Resurrection are to be added)
1) Skulduggery Pleasant-The original. I never tire of it. It was fresh and new and had so much potential, as much of the world was unknown to us. Very much the feeling Valkyrie felt in the book.
2) The Faceless Ones/Kingdom of the Wicked-I like TFO because it was the culmination of the first trilogy, we got to see actual Faceless Ones, the cliffhanger was devastating. Kingdom of the Wicked in my opinion was good. I liked Argeddion, the other universe, Mevolent! and I just found it my personal favourite of the Darquesse Trilogy.
3) Dark Days-Mainly because of the whole section in the Faceless One's dimension, learning more of them, it changed the tone of the series into what it would be, and Remnants are an intriguing idea.
4) Playing with Fire-I just like the original trilogy best. It laid the groundwork for later reveals.
5) Last Stand of Dead Men/Dying of the Light-About the same in my opinion. I need to reread them. I really liked them, but something has to be near the bottom. But LSoDM gave me a moment I'll never forget and that alone deserves higher. Dying of the Light was alright too. Good ending.
6) Mortal Coil/Deathbringer-Something has to come last. I honestly liked them, but I need to reread them and neither has a moment where it was, to me, great.

This list is very likely to change when I reread the whole series, plus Resurrection.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:17:38 PM by Keilax »

wassboss

• Rookie Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2017, 12:23:25 PM »
At the moment mine would be;
1) Last Stand of Dead Men
2) Mortal Coil
3) The Dying of the Light
4) Kingdom of the Wicked
5) Dark Days
6) Death Bringer
7) Resurrection
8 ) Playing with Fire
9) The Faceless Ones
10) Skulduggery Pleasant

For some reason I seem to like the second book of each trilogy the most. I wasn't sure on Resurrection but my gut feeling is I preferred it to the Original Trilogy (although I haven't read the original trilogy in ages).

Only side book I own/have read is The Maleficent Seven but I don't really count it in my ranking of the series as a whole. Although if I did I would be between Death Bringer and Resurrection.

NobleZooki

• Lurker
  • Rookie Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 07, 2017, 12:02:17 PM »
1) Kingdom of the Wicked
2) Last Stand of Dead Men
3) Death Bringer
4) Mortal Coil
5) Faceless Ones
6) Dark Days
7) The Dying of the Light
8 ) Skulduggery Pleasant
9) Playing with Fire
10) Resurrection

C:)
?

Shrek

• Lurker
  • Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 07, 2017, 09:35:36 PM »
1) Kingdom of the Wicked
2) Last Stand of Dead Men
3) Death Bringer
4) Mortal Coil
5) Faceless Ones
6) Dark Days
7) The Dying of the Light
8 ) Skulduggery Pleasant
9) Playing with Fire
10) Resurrection

C:)
You rlly didn't like resurrection huh

NobleZooki

• Lurker
  • Rookie Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2017, 12:18:05 AM »
I dont know lol, I kept swapping around playing with fire and resurrection. In hindsight, should've just both at 9. I didnt not like it - was still good, I just thought all the others are a bit better
?

impulsive

• Lurker
  • Mortal
    • Tyler Impulse
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2017, 01:12:44 PM »
LSODM made me hate Derek so much but at the same time that book is my favorite one out of them all. Just a great book.

wassboss

• Rookie Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2018, 05:50:53 PM »
Having re-reading the whole series (Including Midnight for the Second Time) I've updated my list

1) Last Stand of Dead Men
2) Mortal Coil
3) The Dying of the Light
4) Dark Days
5) Midnight
6) Kingdom of the Wicked
7) Death Bringer
8 ) Playing with Fire
9) The Faceless Ones
10) The Maleficent Seven
11) Skulduggery Pleasant
12) Resurrection
13) Armageddon Outta Here

I've included Armageddon Outta Here and the Maleficent Seven in this time. Other than the addition of Midnight the main differences are the positioning of Resurrection and Dark Days. I've read Resurrection 3 times now and each time I've liked it less. Still enjoy parts of it but for some reason I can't really explain it just doesn't do much for me now the new book excitement has worn off. Dark Days was the exact opposite and I enjoyed it far more than previously.

Darkwave

• Lurker
  • Apprentice Mage
    • Darkwave Necro
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2018, 10:43:31 PM »
I found Resurrection very disappointing too...and boring, however Midnight surprised me by the positive, all those secrets being revealed made me anxious for the next one  :D

BlitheTrinket

• Writer
  • Rookie Mage
    • Blithe Trinket
    • View Profile
    • Join me on Reddit!
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2018, 10:33:54 PM »
I can't even remember reading Kingdom of the Wicked, for me it felt like it went on and on and on. I told my boyfriend to just read the summary on Skulpedia and move straight onto Last Stand of Dead Men. He was really struggling to get through it.

I think The Dying of the Light was probably my favourite, I got through it so quickly because I just couldn't put it down! SO much happens in that book, that unpleasant excrement's intense man.
"I need a layer of fat to protect my six pack." - Saracen Rue, probably.