Author Topic: Demonata  (Read 1629 times)

Porkins

• Legendary Mage
    • Alan
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr Blog
Re: Demonata
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 12:22:09 PM »
I read all 10
Not bad

Shrek

• Lurker
  • Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 12:41:43 PM »
I read all 10
Not bad
(click to show/hide)
I think I might re-read the first few cause I don't remember them that well.
"Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but refuse. They cling to the realm, or love, or the gods... illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is." - Petyr Baelish

Captain Phill Jupitus

• Roleplayer
  • Grand Mage
    • Snerg
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 08:09:21 PM »
The thing with Darren Shan's books is they have interesting characters and well-structured stories, but they're comparatively badly written.

Shrek

• Lurker
  • Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 09:04:18 PM »
I always found it the other way round; I like the stories, thought they were fairly well written but always found his characters a bit hard to like.
"Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but refuse. They cling to the realm, or love, or the gods... illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is." - Petyr Baelish

Romulus Krefth

• Mage
    • Romulus Krefth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 09:24:56 PM »
I prefer Kernel to Grubbs TBH.
same

Captain Phill Jupitus

• Roleplayer
  • Grand Mage
    • Snerg
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 09:15:01 PM »
Well, yeah, you were meant to. Kernel is a likable person, and Grubbs is a sadistic rear end of a mule. Being a werewolf suited him more than being a human.

but always found his characters a bit hard to like.
I didn't say likable, I said interesting. Hannibal Lecter isn't likable.

Shrek

• Lurker
  • Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 11:03:37 AM »
Hannibal Lecter isn't likable.
That's debatable.

Aaron

• Rookie Mage
    • Gadfly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 01:34:17 PM »
In the centre of the web, vile Lord Loss torments the dead...

Can I just animate this thread to say that in spite of his various objectionable qualities, I love Grubbs? He's ginger and violent beyond sane reckoning. All I ask.

Shrek

• Lurker
  • Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 05:52:31 PM »
The more I think about it the more I realise I hate Hell's Heroes as a book. The series had been on such an upward trend till about half eay through Dark Calling IMO, I mean HH is just such a clusterllama.
I've seen quite a few people say the Derek Landy wrote himself into a corner by making Darquesse too powerful and trying to torment the characters too much but seriously Darren Shan just had to pack in so much death and destruction that the only way to finish it was a fishing cheap
(click to show/hide)

Captain Phill Jupitus

• Roleplayer
  • Grand Mage
    • Snerg
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 02:43:13 PM »
I dunno, I liked the whole "characters as cogs in an incomprehensible machine" thing he went for.