Author Topic: The hunger games.  (Read 4858 times)

Eoin

• Roleplayer
  • Grand Mage
    • View Profile
Re: The hunger games.
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 12:23:45 AM »
I thought so. The fight scene on opening day was very shaky, along with the scene with Peeta, Katniss and Cato on the Cornucopia.
cato and peeta looked too similar. i didn't know which was which.
No matter how much you think you love somebody, you'll step back when the pool of their blood edges too close.

Demented Kat

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 02:17:01 AM »
Read them way back when people weren't fangirling over them.
Loved them hopefully the movie dont mess it up >>

HIPSTER ALERT! HIPSTER ALERT!

I admit though, a large part of why I won't read Hunger Games is Hype Aversion. But so, was the movie good at least? I mean, if someone who hasn't read the books (like me) went do you honestly think they would be impressed if they had no prior knowledge?
I don't really read actual books anymore, just fanfic. So much fanfic. Similarly, 90% of my music comes from Bronies or Homestuck.

Tumblr

I was in love once.

I got better

Kribu

• News Editor
  • Sorcerer
    • View Profile
    • Kribu @ LJ
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 08:07:55 AM »
Yeah, the shaky camera stuff especially earlier on in the film bothered me. It got a lot better later on, fortunately, apart from that final fight on top of the cornucopia. (Well, either that or I got so used to it that I didn't notice, but I think it just got a lot less "let's have a lot of extremely short shaky shots".)

I mean, if someone who hasn't read the books (like me) went do you honestly think they would be impressed if they had no prior knowledge?

I went with two people who hadn't read the books, and they both liked it (the 40-something a little less so than the 15-year-old, who loved it, but they both enjoyed it and could follow it without problems, although they both asked me if it was based on all three books or just the first one, presumably because of the way it ended). That said, it depends on personal taste, as does anything...

I think there were a couple of tiny things that were thrown in that would probably make more sense to those who've read the books, but they were such small matters that those who'd be confused by them probably just wouldn't even notice them.
'What's wrong with being childish? I like being childish!' - The Third Doctor, Terror of the Autons

Dregran Entropy

• Administrator
  • Ancient
    • Dregran Entropy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 08:55:01 AM »
I liked it, but found most of it confusing. And I had no prior knowledge.
It doesn't matter where we go, there's always someone that doesn't agree with us.

Skulduggery Forums Rules
Character Profile Rules | Character Index
Ask Me Anything

Maxwell Letterlock

• Roleplayer
  • Grand Mage
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Chainsaws
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 05:50:42 PM »
CLOSEUPS.
SO MANY CLOSEUPS.

Actually I found the movie to be very good, but there were a lot of discrepancies that really bothered me, the kinds that you sort of needed to know... Or maybe I'm just being particular...
I suppose I feel like you got shafted if you hadn't read the book.

"I'll buy you a stick for christmas."
Characters | Writings

Lady Adella Whitaker

• Roleplayer
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 06:17:07 PM »
The differences between the books and the films will separate the book fans from the movie fans easier though xD
"Oh my gods, the cat was so cute!"
"Yeah, though the colour wasn't right..."
"What do you mean?"
"It should be yellow..."
"... But it was black and white..."
*facepalm*

Astaphaios

• Plotmaster
  • Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 06:31:37 PM »
The differences between the books and the films will separate the book fans from the movie fans easier though xD
"Oh my gods, the cat was so cute!"
"Yeah, though the colour wasn't right..."
"What do you mean?"
"It should be yellow..."
"... But it was black and white..."
*facepalm*

Woah, woah, woah. Buttercup was Black and white?
THAT'S MESSED UP! HE'S CALLED BUTTERCUP FOR A REASON! D<
Quote from: Ash | The Dictator
Hate me later. Save us now.

Demented Kat

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 08:39:30 PM »
Well I suppose it doesn't matter because I'm probably never going to read the books or see the movie.
I don't really read actual books anymore, just fanfic. So much fanfic. Similarly, 90% of my music comes from Bronies or Homestuck.

Tumblr

I was in love once.

I got better

Eoin

• Roleplayer
  • Grand Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »
CLOSEUPS.
SO MANY CLOSEUPS.

Actually I found the movie to be very good, but there were a lot of discrepancies that really bothered me, the kinds that you sort of needed to know... Or maybe I'm just being particular...
I suppose I feel like you got shafted if you hadn't read the book.
love the new sig.

I liked both the movie and the books.

Portrayed it amazingly.
No matter how much you think you love somebody, you'll step back when the pool of their blood edges too close.

Lexus Storm

• Legendary Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 09:50:48 PM »
I feel I should go watch it now >.>

Dregran Entropy

• Administrator
  • Ancient
    • Dregran Entropy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 08:00:26 AM »
I feel I should read it now. :L
It doesn't matter where we go, there's always someone that doesn't agree with us.

Skulduggery Forums Rules
Character Profile Rules | Character Index
Ask Me Anything

Eoin

• Roleplayer
  • Grand Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 12:06:37 PM »
I feel I should read it now. :L
you saw the movie first?

GODDAMIT TERRY.

Demented Kat

• Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 12:45:46 PM »
I would at least try the books but...too much effort, not enough interest.

Tumblr

I was in love once.

I got better

Ivory

• Mortal
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 12:47:55 PM »
I was never actually that struck on the books, well book. I only read the first one.

Before it got popular, my friend told me to read it because she said it was like Battle Royale which I had just read and that it was amazing. I think the main reason I did not like it was because I had such high expectations for it because I was in love with Battle Royale, but the fact that the games did not actually start till about half way annoyed me and even then it bored me. The characters felt bland and the romance just annoyed me again.

Does it get better in the other books? Or is it just centred on the love triangle my friend keeps going on about?

Kribu

• News Editor
  • Sorcerer
    • View Profile
    • Kribu @ LJ
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 12:52:06 PM »
The love triangle is there, but it's never exactly the central plot point. I admit it was my least favourite part of the books.
'What's wrong with being childish? I like being childish!' - The Third Doctor, Terror of the Autons