1 (4.2%)
Hazel
3 (12.5%)
Reyna
5 (20.8%)
Nico
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Blood of Olympus [Spoiler Topic]  (Read 3595 times)

Adelina Natue

• Theorist
  • Grand Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Blood of Olympus [Spoiler Topic]
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 09:20:54 AM »
(click to show/hide)
"I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right" - The Book Thief

FelixNoble

• Supporter
  • Grand Mage
    • Felix Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »
Nooo! Octavian's ending was such a disappointment!

(click to show/hide)

Adelina Natue

• Theorist
  • Grand Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2014, 10:02:10 AM »
(click to show/hide)
"I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right" - The Book Thief

FelixNoble

• Supporter
  • Grand Mage
    • Felix Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2014, 10:14:09 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Adelina Natue

• Theorist
  • Grand Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 10:26:24 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Artemis Folke

• Apprentice Mage
    • Artemis Folke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2014, 05:13:39 PM »
(click to show/hide)
"Dress suitably in short skirts and strong boots, leave your jewels in the bank, and buy a revolver." – eternally relevant fashion advice from Countess Markievicz, Irish revolutionalist

// Why not be utterly changed into fire? //

FelixNoble

• Supporter
  • Grand Mage
    • Felix Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2014, 11:07:10 PM »
And by giving them all happy ends - except Sally, seriously Percy go home, Christ! - he has ended the need to want to go back, to see if any of the things that didn't happen (everything) will ever happen, but it won't. Stories over, we are left with what the characters became, unexplained miracles, the fact that in House of Hades the only reason Percy and Annaneth survived is because Hazel made the most impossible knife throw shot ever and even she can't believe it and it still bothers me, that Zeus is clearly a big babified moron and no one in their right mind would let that selfish, childlike God be a leader, that Artemis and Apollo was such a disappointment and very unrealistic and that the Romans were wasted, so wasted.

The life stick, no importance at all in the end, Hazel's curse was supposed to be cured, Percy and everything about him was dropped from the plot, oh no Nico doesn't have love as a teenager? We'll hint at that because they will be together forever. Oh and Orion was never evil in the original myths, Apollo tricked his sister into killing him so she made him a constellation. But I don't mind because Reyna taking him out was the only perfect ending.

Artemis Folke

• Apprentice Mage
    • Artemis Folke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2014, 11:15:15 PM »
Oh and Orion was never evil in the original myths, Apollo tricked his sister into killing him so she made him a constellation. But I don't mind because Reyna taking him out was the only perfect ending.

Neither was Gaea, really, but I don't mind Rick assigning villain roles to mythological figures in the way he's done. I agree, that scene was beyond perfect. Orion was just like every dude with Nice Guy syndrome I've ever met. The annoying, entitled ones who rely on their mothers but don't respect women. I loved that plotline.
"Dress suitably in short skirts and strong boots, leave your jewels in the bank, and buy a revolver." – eternally relevant fashion advice from Countess Markievicz, Irish revolutionalist

FelixNoble

• Supporter
  • Grand Mage
    • Felix Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2014, 11:31:23 PM »
It started off with such an urgent, fantastic, last-book vibe, but it just faded as nothing was solved. Then everything was euphoric and the book ran out of pages. And because of that, there is no theorizing for me to jump into, I sort of finished it and my mind was still. Literally the last line of Skulduggery perfectly wraps up the unwrapped, giving the fans the urge to unite and share.

Did anyone really think Leo was gone? 

Artemis Folke

• Apprentice Mage
    • Artemis Folke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2014, 11:36:48 PM »
It started off with such an urgent, fantastic, last-book vibe, but it just faded as nothing was solved. Then everything was euphoric and the book ran out of pages. And because of that, there is no theorizing for me to jump into, I sort of finished it and my mind was still. Literally the last line of Skulduggery perfectly wraps up the unwrapped, giving the fans the urge to unite and share.

Did anyone really think Leo was gone?

It was too short. Much, much too short. What is it, a hundred pages shorter than MoA? Why? We needed all the space we could get in order to properly solve every plot point and then tie a neat bow on top of it all in the end. But that obviously did not happen.

Did I believe Leo had died for real? Not for a second. I'd predicted it from the minute he met Calypso. The stakes, which had been built up to be sky high and most definitely fatal, turned out to be absolutely minimal.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:37:57 PM by Artemis Folke »

FelixNoble

• Supporter
  • Grand Mage
    • Felix Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2014, 11:55:56 PM »
And all they needed was their actual blood? They captured them so often, why not just take a syringe's worth?

"Ah, child of Pluto. Your magic helped you cheat in this contest, but you cannot cheat destiny. One of you will die. One of you must die."

Cheater, cheater, unhappy reader.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:00:26 AM by FelixNoble »

Artemis Folke

• Apprentice Mage
    • Artemis Folke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2014, 12:03:33 AM »
And all they needed was their actual blood? They captured them so often, why not just take a syringe's worth?

"Ah, child of Pluto. Your magic helped you cheat in this contest, but you cannot cheat destiny. One of you will die. One of you must die."

Cheater, cheater, pissed off the reader.

I think what Rick had in mind was that we would all think Leo was actually dead, and then be overjoyed when it turned out he wasn't. That we would be satisfied with a quick "Yo Nico we're spending senior year in New York and then we're going to New Rome and this is the end to our entire storyline goodbye" from Percy and Annabeth. That a super happy ending would have us taking a breath of relief and forgetting all about the massive, suspenseful build-up and prospect of an earthshattering final battle. Except when you spend a series dropping hints the size of fishing anvils about death and carnage and the inevitability of fate and prophecy, you cannot throw a needle into the climax and expect it to outweigh all of that.

Moonie

• Shipper
  • Grand Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2014, 12:07:02 AM »
Seriously, compare this death fake out to

(click to show/hide)

Artemis Folke

• Apprentice Mage
    • Artemis Folke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2014, 12:15:48 AM »
Seriously, compare this death fake out to

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

FelixNoble

• Supporter
  • Grand Mage
    • Felix Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2014, 12:21:48 AM »
(click to show/hide)

The way the final battle was done, copying Harry Potter by the way, was set up all series to be some of the best work yet. Instead we have dozens of nameless kids dead- that nobody from either camp seems to care about, we have a defeat of Gaea's simple takedown
(click to show/hide)

I am not in any way complaining that no one died, just that you can't turn our series into a fairytale; unrealistic and unsatisfying.