Author Topic: Microtransactions  (Read 501 times)

Icarus

• Writer
  • Apprentice Mage
    • View Profile
Microtransactions
« on: April 02, 2017, 10:50:50 PM »
How do you feel about microtransactions?
Have you ever purchased items in-game using real currency?
What was it?
How much did it cost?
What's your bank details so I can buy items using your bank?

Personally, I don't mind microtransactions depending on the game. Some games they're pointless, others they can really make the experience of the game that much better.

Loads of times, I immediately regret it straight afterwards.

1000 Platinum on Warframe

Not willing to disclose that information

4658...wait a minute...

ExtraterrestrialGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: Microtransactions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 11:30:12 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4duJdeKTwHY

I'd take a £40 game in its entirety any day. Sadly, these are being ruined too with excessive DLC and toys to life.

The new Zelda game has a wolf companion feature that's only available via an amiibo.

Star Wars Battlefront was two thirds of a game.

This is why I mostly stick to retro.

Dregran Entropy

• Administrator
  • Ancient
    • Dregran Entropy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 02:52:30 AM »
I spend around 50AUD each special event for Overwatch. Because Blizzard likes to make money (which I don't hold against them), you can't buy items directly, just loot boxes with a low chance of getting rares. There is in-game currency, though. I don't mind spending money in-games, since it allows the developers to constantly get money for a game that is constantly in use. Makes sense, as they need money too.
It doesn't matter where we go, there's always someone that doesn't agree with us.

Skulduggery Forums Rules
Character Profile Rules | Character Index
Ask Me Anything

Mad Murdock

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Mage
    • Z'ev
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 03:44:56 AM »
I'm happy to buy DLCs if it improves or expands my gameplay. I've bought currency on GTAV a few times, but that was because I was too lazy to play contstantly to earn the funds in-game.
I have all the Battlefield 1 stuff.. and Sunset Overdrive... and a couple other games are fully maxed...

However, apps can be a different story. I've bought the offline feature for my dictionary (x4 being iPad and iPhone and having to reinstall it..) and I've bought quite a few comics via the Marvel app. But I would never (or never again) purchase any in-game content for gaming apps. I did once, I think, for Minion Rush. I then lost all my content through a massive update.
"Your grasp of the English language never ceases to amaze me" - LovedthenhatedErskine [27 May 2015]

Mathieu Finnick-Bane and Rico Classified art by Jara

"You're bold enough to assume as much."

Keilax

• Archmage
    • Pronounced: KEE-Lacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 09:52:52 AM »
This will come as no surprise to those who know me, but nope. I don't buy anything extra. Real money post-buying the game? Nope.

Skullpony Pleasant

• Supporter
  • Grand Mage
    • Isaiah salvatore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:58:53 AM »
i play lol and the skins are bea so yeah i ok with it asling as u dun go overboard with the unpleasant excrement. and also give proper values and not some crazy number.
Please report if any rules are skirted or broken, Skullpony has abused our leniency long enough.

Flint

• Grand Mage
    • Flint Deadshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 04:55:01 PM »
I don't mind them, but I prefer if it is also possible to acquire all items without micro transactions.

For example, Overwatch's loot boxes. While you can acquire them quickly by buying, you also receive one each time you level up.

I'm not too keen on games that really require you to buy dlc. I REALLY wanted to enjoy Destiny. However, the vanilla game seemed lacking in something, something I've been told was made up for in the expansions.

ravenrune

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 08:17:36 PM »
depends what the microtransaction is for (i'm not even sure what amount microtransaction covers). if it's a dlc i will buy it, if it's like, an outfit for in-game i'm less likely to buy it. All of that also depends on the game as well, if it's one i know I will play a lot and don't mind paying an amount for then i'm more likely to spend money on it. I generally don't spend money on random draw stuff like loot boxes in Overwatch just because I'd rather spend money on something I was guaranteed to get. Like in SWTOR, I would spend money on Cartel Coins if there was a particular item i wanted to buy in the Cartel Market (eg a weapon or armour) but I wouldn't buy Cartel Coins to buy a number of the Cartel Market Packs because I just don't know what I would get in them.