Author Topic: Derek "Planning Out Next Series": Skulduggery Pleasant X  (Read 4805 times)

Dregran Entropy

• Administrator
  • Ancient
    • Dregran Entropy
    • View Profile
Re: Derek "Planning Out Next Series": Skulduggery Pleasant X
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2016, 10:49:19 PM »
This isn't the MCU. This isn't a well planned sequel set of books. This is a cash-grab that will just be Toy Story 3.

Also why is he talking about Jack Sparrow when it comes to popular characters
Has he been on any site other than tumblr
Has he even been on tumblr
It doesn't matter where we go, there's always someone that doesn't agree with us.

Skulduggery Forums Rules
Character Profile Rules | Character Index
Ask Me Anything

ExtraterrestrialGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Ancient
    • ETGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2016, 01:08:25 AM »
What's so bad about the term "phase 1" ?

The MCU is the current big thing that uses "phases" as story arcs, and that doesn't have an end in sight. Phase 2, or Act Two, implies more phases coming afterwards.

I personally saw each trilogy as what's now being referred to as a "phase". The Faceless Ones had a trilogy, the Necromancers had a trilogy and Darquesse had a trilogy. The difference is that (after the initial expansion from three books to nine) we had an end point in sight.

I think we should wait before jumping to conclusions like above until Derek reveals more about the release schedule though.

Dan North

• Writer
  • Grand Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2016, 07:33:29 AM »
What's so bad about the term "phase 1" ?

The MCU is the current big thing that uses "phases" as story arcs, and that doesn't have an end in sight. Phase 2, or Act Two, implies more phases coming afterwards.

I personally saw each trilogy as what's now being referred to as a "phase". The Faceless Ones had a trilogy, the Necromancers had a trilogy and Darquesse had a trilogy. The difference is that (after the initial expansion from three books to nine) we had an end point in sight.

I think we should wait before jumping to conclusions like above until Derek reveals more about the release schedule though.

To be fair, the MCU does have an endpoint too. The three phases have led up to and will be "ending"- more like climaxing -in Infinity War. But at no point have the MCU people pretended that the Infinity War will be the end of the MCU. It's more like a season finale. Derek, with some careful plot structuring and good PR, could present SPX as the beginning of a new wave of phases of Skulduggery Pleasant stories. Hell, with Armageddon Outta Here and The Maleficent Seven, he's already laid the groundwork for doing spin offs and creating a SPLU (Skulduggery Pleasant Literary Universe) that he can write in phases or at his leisure. It could work.

Maybe.

ExtraterrestrialGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Ancient
    • ETGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »
The difference here is that Marvel Studios have displayed forethought and are investing in their post-Phase 3 projects. They're getting franchises like Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Spider-Man off the ground now so that Phase 4 is in place and ready to go only a year after Phase 3 ends. Season finale is the best description for The Avengers 4, but SP Phase 1 was marketed as the end, full stop. This could happen in SP going forward but I'm hard pressed to believe SPX was planned before Demon Road.

I think we've already got something of a shared universe in SP with the short stories and spin-offs, but there are some of us who are burned out at the idea of continuing cycles of SP books from the same writer. Shared universes thrive on having different creators who bring their own interpretation of the universe to the table. I don't think Derek should or would let other writers play with his series.

Shrek

• Lurker
  • Archmage
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2016, 01:35:50 PM »
I think we've already got something of a shared universe in SP with the short stories and spin-offs, but there are some of us who are burned out at the idea of continuing cycles of SP books from the same writer. Shared universes thrive on having different creators who bring their own interpretation of the universe to the table. I don't think Derek should or would let other writers play with his series.
I don't think he could let anyone else write Valkyrie or Skulduggery but would it be so weird to have other ppl write stories with their own characters, ideas and interpretations that inhabit the same universe?
"Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but refuse. They cling to the realm, or love, or the gods... illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is." - Petyr Baelish

Isfet Lethe

• Supporter
  • Apprentice Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2016, 03:59:11 PM »
I'd like to see that happen but hasn't it already happened? Like haven't there been a couple of characters created by fans that made their way into the books?

ravenrune

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2016, 07:43:01 PM »
there's been quite a number of characters made by fans that ended up in the books. i think they were generally in the final 2 books?

i don't think anybody else would write about skul and val officially, but it would be interesting to see a short story nathology of stories written by other people but in the sp universe. i don't know if that is a common thing tbh, but i know that black library have done it for various warhammer books (although that series is written by more people too)

Isfet Lethe

• Supporter
  • Apprentice Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »
It'd be nice to have more unofficial legends and stories in the universe to expand it. Though I guess that's what we do unofficially with our fics and rps