Author Topic: No Rest for the Wicked (Flint and Soph(and maybe Eoin, who knows?))  (Read 147 times)

Astaphaios

• Plotmaster
  • Legendary Mage
    • View Profile
Re: No Rest for the Wicked (Flint and Soph(and maybe Eoin, who knows?))
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 04:03:36 AM »
 Irina seemed to consider his words, though she reached over and grabbed a chip from his plate, popping it into her mouth. Monty really didn't get it, did he? She swallowed the chip and leaned back in the booth, crossing one leg over her knee.
 "You worked with the Contactus. You are therefore affiliated with the Contactus." She rose a brow at him. "You can run with other people, sure. I get the Contactus can be pretty rough after a while. You either get desensitised to it, or you realise you're working with llamain' monsters and just become one..." This prompted a thought from her, though she put it aside for now. "But you don't get arrested, Monty. That leaves a record. On top of a record, people start saying oh he worked for these people... That's not staying away from the wall, Monty. That's being a that additional appendage and getting caught."
Quote from: Prince Robot IV
Belay that goaty.

Flint

• Grand Mage
    • Flint Deadshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 10:51:47 PM »
His brow furrowed as the other merc had the nerve to eat one of his chips. What she said made sense, Monty just couldn't agree with her. Sure, the Contactus had done a lot for him, but his actions nowadays didn't affect the old organisation. He was his own man, with his own reputation. "Far as I'm aware, I didn't sign any contract", Monty bit back. "I didn't agree to be the golden boy as soon as I wanted out, so as far as I'm aware, I can do whatever I damn please.".  He'd done a lot of regretful unpleasant excrement in his life, both before, during and after his time with Karrish Dusty's company. The last thing he wanted was to have someone like Irina Pyxis breathing down his neck whenever he so much as farted in public. Glancing to Aria to make sure the girl hadn't done a runner, he tried for a more diplomatic tone. "Look, the cyborg doesn't want us killing each other and I'd rather go on about my day, so can we please come to some sort of an arrangement here?" .

Astaphaios

• Plotmaster
  • Legendary Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 11:22:24 PM »
 Pyxis rose a brow at Monty, clearly shocked that he was trying to be so diplomatic. She had come expecting a fight, and she expected the fight to be nasty. Monty was a skilled merc with no desire to die.
 "I don't care what you did or didn't sign, Monty." Irina laughed. "You can do what you want, just don't whine when someone like me comes along to llama about with your day off."
 This was said with another glance at his burger, which looked to have gone cold during their conversation. Her own brow furrowed at the word "cyborg", causing a glance over to Aria - who was sat with Monty's drink in her hand. "What, is she your keeper? Christ, Monty. Didn't know you liked 'em so young." Her jibe was humourless. "What sort of an agreement are you thinking?"

Why hadn't their conversation ended? Aria was growing increasingly worried. There hadn't been any violence, which was good, but there was also clearly an argument going on. It was becoming a scene, and a scene was bad.
 She'd made her way over, holding Monty's drink in her synthetic hand so that it remained stable. As she reached the pair, she held Monty's drink out for him - it looked strong, whatever it was, wasn't it a bit early to be drinking spirits? - and gave them both an apprehensive look.
 "I think you owe the man a new burger. Waste of money, that."
Belay that goaty.

Flint

• Grand Mage
    • Flint Deadshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 11:59:17 PM »
Pyxis was right. There was no point in whining about how badly she'd banana'd up Monty's day. As far as he was concerned, it didn't matter where he came out of this debate; whether he was right or wrong. What mattered was that the merc buzzed off and he got to sit back down in peace.

Seriously, of all days this could have happened. Damn you Wraith

He ignored the other merc's jests about Kane. Honestly, he'd expected Pyxis to have a more refined, mature sense of humour. Such a childish jab was more along his lines. If he weren't so moody, he'd have even commended her for such a comeback. Instead, he shrugged off the comment, thanking Aria as she handed his drink. He sure as hell needed it. Taking a healthy sip, he eyed Pyxis as the merc asked him about the nature of their agreement Before he could reply, Aria insisted Pyxis buy him a new burger, and the merc felt the trace of a smirk tug at his lips

The girl has balls.

Relishing his drink, Monty allowed a pleasant smile to shine on his face."Right, the agreement. So, let's say I tip you off on that cache, and you buy me a new burger, eh?". He hadn't the stomach for another full burger, but reckoned Kane would probably take a half if offered. She sure as hell earned it.

Giving up the cache was a little risky, though what would a few glasses of whiskey be if they didn't come with poor decisions. Sure, it would put them down a buck, but the cache wasn't their main stockpile. Just an old lot that he kept for himself. For a rainy day.

Astaphaios

• Plotmaster
  • Legendary Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 12:29:14 AM »
  Pyxis stared at the both of them hardly, looking almost staggered by their nerve. She sized Aria up, before turning back to Monty.
 "You want a new burger." She sounded stunned. "And for me to leave."
 It took her a minute to fully comprehend this, it seemed, as she leaned back in the booth and picked her mask back up.
 "If the cache isn't enough," Aria pressed. "I could make you a mask that makes your current mask look like some twigs just pressed together." She was a lot more sure of herself now that she was beside Monty, even having crossed her arms in a motion of defiance.

Wraith's stare was unimpressed. The cache that Monty spoke of technically shouldn't even have been in his possession... though she hadn't been itching for a fight, anyway. Her style was more stealth kills, not honour fights. It had merely been etiquette that Wraith decided to give Monty a fighting chance.
 She suddenly smiled widely, letting out a sharp laugh. "Christ. At least you make for good entertainment..."
 Aria stiffened.
 "The school-girl can relax, so can you. Sure, I'll get you a burger."
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:30:07 AM by Astaphaios »
Belay that goaty.

Flint

• Grand Mage
    • Flint Deadshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 12:52:46 AM »
Monty took a mental note of Aria's skills. Maybe she could make him a mask when this was all over. He'd be needing it if he was going to have Contactus on his ass in the near future. Maybe he'd be able to swing for a two for one offer. That'd sort Cutter's Christmas present.

As his old comrade went to order him a fresh burger, Monty sat at the table, beginning to scratch details of the cache location on a napkin. As always, his hands moved quickly, and the job was done in mere seconds. Then, he looked to Aria, with a newfound appreciation for a girl who hadn't much impressed him upon first impression.
"I need to take you to more expensive restaurants. Hell, if you'd warned me earlier, I'd have ordered a steak". He held up his glass, as though to toast, then froze. "Spose I owe you a drink, and you owe me more of an explanation".

Astaphaios

• Plotmaster
  • Legendary Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 01:45:37 AM »
 Wraith had wasted absolutely no time, having stalked to the bar and ordering Monty's burger without fuss. She hadn't been able to keep the scowl off her face, though. Entertaining as the duo had been, her expression made it clear she would be keeping tabs on Monty for a while. This was a hit to her honour, and one she did not take well.
 She grumbled a table number and an order to the waitress, stalking back to grab the napkin off the table. Her eyes scanned the writing, and she pocketed it swiftly, slipping her mask back on.
 "I'll be seeing you." She was all business again. "Try not to get yourself killed, I'd rather have the honours of doing that myself."
 It was with that that Wraith had disconnected from the conversation, submerging herself back into the crowd.

Aria stared after the merc.
 "Are you all so dramatic?" It was meant as a mood lightener, but Aria had realised after she said it that she genuinely wanted the answer. What constituted for a conversation with Rico was like talking to a wall with guns. Monty seemed... more grounded, perhaps, but not any less dangerous - and certainly didn't seem to shy away from dramatics. Wraith? She was way too much for Aria, like something right out of Kill Bill.
 Yet Monty wanted answers. Aria gazed at his upraised drink, feeling a small smile tug on her features.
 "You don't owe me a drink. I do owe you answers..." The cyborg let out a sigh, leaning against the booth. Maybe she should accept the drink. "You know a Rico Classified?"
Belay that goaty.

Flint

• Grand Mage
    • Flint Deadshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 02:01:58 AM »
He eyed Bloody-Mary as she made her exit, ending their meeting with the promise of a future meeting. The threat that it would be her to kill him. He tried to let it go over his head. After all, if he worried about every person who'd vowed to kill him, he'd have gone crazy long ago. He'd meet Wraith again, but that day wouldn't come any time soon, unless he caused too much trouble.

He thought of getting the last word in, but hesitated. Somehow, he felt as though he was coming out on top of this little duel of words. Though, he did largely owe that to the cybernetically-enhanced  girl who sat across from him. She seemed glad to see the other merc leave.
"I assure you, had she caught me any other day I'd have been more professional". It wasn't a whole truth, but then it wasn't a blatant lie either. Monty was known to let his emotions run wild at times, but for the most part he didn't let it get in the way of his work. Today, well, today he just had been expecting a break.

Aria seemed uneasy as she explained her reason for finding him. He wondered what stresses came to a techie from the British Sanctuary. He had no clue, but assumed they were vastly different to his own worries. She asked him about Rico, and the mercenary tilted his head a fraction downwards, bringing up a steady hand to scratch his stubbled chin.
"Rico. Yeah I know him, we erm, we escaped a prison together". He remembered it well. Boston. The leprechaun and his gang of cannibals. At least, that was what they were, assuming Monty hadn't taken anything that night. Rico seemed a troubled man, but Monty liked him. Classified was interesting, and Monty was sure he'd get some good stories out of the man after a few drinks. "Is he alright?".

Astaphaios

• Plotmaster
  • Legendary Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 02:15:35 AM »
 Is he alright? Aria tried not to scoff. Gee, I'd love to find that out for myself. Is that man ever alright?
 Rico's whereabouts after the absolute fish headshow that had happened at the Sanctuary was pretty much up in smoke. Aria could understand why; he would have to lay low, especially with such a high bounty on him at the moment.
 Yet he was severely injured when he'd run away. She had seen neither head nor tail of him, and heard even less -- for all Aria knew, Rico could well be dead.
 "Well." She took a glance at Monty's demeanour and tried to ignore the pang of guilt she'd felt. He really just wanted a break, didn't he? She didn't need to be dragging him into Rico's mess when she was hardly even involved herself. But, "That's what I want you to find out."

Aria slipped back into the booth, flexing those synthetic fingers of hers. If they weren't in public... ugh! She could easily have just dropped the facade and shown Monty exactly what she meant, how exactly she could track Rico to a general area. That would make this so much quicker.
 "He's obviously in a bad way, almost definitely injured." Aria's tone had turned professional; as if she were speaking to another doctor about a patient. "I can get a general location for him, I just need you to find him, and keep him safe. And away from the Sanctuaries. Is that agreeable?"
 When Aria looked back up at Monty, she'd given him an almost pleading look.
Belay that goaty.

Flint

• Grand Mage
    • Flint Deadshot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2019, 08:22:33 PM »
"When do we leave?".

The decision was simple. Had Aria not arrived, Monty would have gone on to get unpleasant excrementfaced, only to work another hungover guard shift at the Sanctuary the next day. Boring drills, that additional appendageish commanding officers, and an air of tension. It was in no way inviting, and Monty would have jumped at any opportunity to get out of it. Leaving the job would put him down a few bucks, but it'd do his mental well-being wonders. A missing persons case was a lot more interesting than doing a job a couple of Dobermans could do just as well.

From how Aria spoke, she sounded like she'd expected him to laugh in her face. She was trying to convince him, which either meant she was desperate or didn't have a whole lot of cash to wave in front of his eyes. Of course, she wanted this job kept under wraps, and perhaps this is where she thought he'd be turned off. She couldn't have been more wrong. If anything, her description of the job was enticing the mercenary more. It didn't sound dull.

"I owe him one. I'll pull him out of whatever gutter he's been dunked into", Monty promised. "Just please tell me I don't have to shoot anyone till tomorrow?".

Astaphaios

• Plotmaster
  • Legendary Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 10:52:08 PM »
 He didn't have any questions? Aria broke out into a grin and straightened her posture. Once she'd scanned him, he actually looked excited about the prospect! He knew Rico, and he didn't want to see the man hurt, even if it would put him out of pocket for a bit.
 No honour among thieves, eh? I'd say he's pretty honourable. The thought had her grin widening and shuffling further into the end of the booth so that she could turn off the facade on her arm.
 The metallic sheen was brought into show, the light playing off of it in an almost kaleidoscopic fashion. Aria ran a single finger along the forearm, bringing up her interface and turning her arm to show Monty. A map. Or, more specifically, a tracker.

"Don't tell him who sent you. Or that they tracked him. I'll never hear the end of it." Aria cringed. "But this is a live feed of... well, general location. I think it's about city-based, but I never look at this and honestly Rico moves around so often that without any other method of testing, there's only one way to find out."
 She pointed at the small blip in the centre of the interface. Rico. "I can send you-- well, I can send you the program. Again... don't say my name, or that you met with me, or even act like you've ever even heard of me, please. Just meet him, get him outta Dodge, and make sure he doesn't do anything stupid."

"No shooting anyone today." Aria put her arm down just as the burger was brought to the table, scooching closer up against the table as it was brought down. "It's your day off."
Belay that goaty.