Author Topic: The Game of Cat and Mouse Begins (DOCKY, FLINT, GID, AND MAYBE ASTA)  (Read 1378 times)

Astaphaios

• Plotmaster
  • Sorcerer
    • View Profile
Re: The Game of Cat and Mouse Begins (DOCKY, FLINT, GID, AND MAYBE ASTA)
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2019, 07:59:05 AM »
 The Technomancer expressed her doubt at Rico being important enough for Crayne to actively want him dead with a raised brow. Whoever this Ortez woman was, the spat between her and Rico seemed to be purely between her and Rico. Although, in the footage that Aria had... she lifted her arm and her computer screen flickered to life, allowing her to rewatch the footage of Ortez walking out - skulking behind Aranea.
 "The woman hates the Sanctuary; won't step foot here unless she has important business," It was said more to herself than to Rico; Aria found that it was easier to work things out when she orated her thoughts. "And you can't see her empathing - I've seen her weaponise that nasty magic on the Network, the way she makes people shrink away... but they don't look friendly... if she works for C.C..."
 She couldn't suppress it; a nasty shudder forced its way down her spine at the prospect of running awry of that group. Aria wouldn't call herself a racist, or xenophobe - far from it! - but even she had noticed the vast amount of Crayne employees tended to have some form of affliction. That, and the weird way they smiled, it made it look like they were sizing you up for dinner, not having a conversation.

"Either way," Her tone turned haughty. "There's no proof, so that avenue is useless... a bone-breaker--" Her eyes suddenly lit up. "Weaponised tech?!"
 Aria took a step forward, her mind reeling with possibilities. Weaponised tech! The number of things you could do to an arm! Aria wasn't one to make cybernetics so violent herself; everyone already had a nasty view on people with cybernetics. Some stupid old fashioned views that science and magic shouldn't blend the way they did.
 "You'd think-- damn! That's--" Realising that Rico probably was giving her an absolutely exasperated glare at this point, Aria bit back her grin - and her questions - and merely took a moment to process this.
 Damn, this scary vampire lady was infinitely cooler with that mental image. Oh, it was probably strong! Maybe claws, or a fishing gun arm!
 Awkwardly, Aria cleared her throat.

She immediately deflated upon realising that Siobhan was apparently out of the question. Though she didn't like this - it wasn't fond - defensive? Whatever tone Rico had about that, she'd need to set things right--
 "Siobhan Donovan is a mass murderer, Rico," Her eyes were narrowed. "She served gaol-time for her murderers during the War - and it wasn't, like, fighting in the war. Just genuine bloodlust and - if you heard the stuff she did to her victims -- triple digits! In a small country like Ireland! This is probably not scary to her like you think but," She sighed. "She wouldn't do anything legal. That woman's hatred for the Sanctuary is so sad, she could be really useful... but I more meant, she's run into a lot of monster hunters, and she's old as balls so she probably knows a few mages that could deal with a situation and don't... have... uh, a moral... problem with it."
 She wrung her fingers together, realising she was actively condoning some highly illegal actions. "But this is all moot, anyway. If this woman works for Crayne, there is absolutely nothing we can do. I bet if she is, they probably have like a billion ways of making her impossible to connect with them -- but they operate... pretty clandestinely... so I can't imagine they are remotely happy with such a... public way of doing things..."
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 07:59:52 AM by Astaphaios »
Quote from: Ash | The Dictator
Hate me later. Save us now.

Mad Murdock

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Mage
    • Z'ev
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2019, 10:45:42 PM »
Aria seemed to be as doubtful of the second option as Rico was, and her reaction caused him to metaphorically take a step back and have another think with his frown casting away. If it was merely a personal matter, why had it taken Ximena so long to get her arse into gear? And, why so much heat now, of all times?  Silas may not want him dead, but there was certainly an ulterior drive.

The computer monitor coming to life had the man bring his attention back, though his movements were slow as his joints were starting to cease after his earlier exertions. Aria's spoken musings weren't overlooked either - so that's who bounced the dog of female orientation. Voluntas herself had graced the sanctuary, though Rico hadn't had a chance to see what she actually looked like; not having had a moment's peace. But as Aria was saying, the woman hated the sanctuary, so there couldn't be any other possible reason for her to be here other than to obviously collect her staff.
"She has to work for them.  I've never seen her tail between her legs like that around anyone-" Rico paused, and slowly formed a frown as profiles and news articles were brought into his vision.  The visual spam brought on by his want to learn more about this influential figure.  Voluntas Aranea had quite the political standing within the business of Crayne Consolidated. She was definitely not someone Rico wanted to cross paths with, not on unfriendly terms, if he could help it.
"Another Vampire," the grumble Rico couldn't bite back and quickly had him rethinking how attractive the woman was, "just my luck. Hm?" The newest outburst he was distracted with was in regards to the tech the merc had mentioned.  This was quickly issued with a shake of his head and  his frown still firmly in place.  The tech wasn't their priority right now, but Rico should've known better than to mention it at this point.  Aria seemed to get the message without Rico needing to utter a word.  She promptly continued on with their other option of asking Siobhan-

"I don't doubt that-" though his following cough wouldn't help in delivering his case of believing Siobhan's history there, "but Siobhan looked happier with her drama re-runs than leaving her place in a hurry. However," Aria's slight unease with all this illegal conspiring didn't go amiss. She wasn't willing to condone such acts of crime, that was clear, but since she'd opened the opportunity- "if you're prepared to turn the other cheek, we could- I could-" his brain was truly a jumble and his ideas, as flighty as a flock of nervous sparrows, changed to something more reponsible.
"No... yeah, you're right. If Ximena is working with Aranea and Crayne, that's a big if, we could dodge confronting Ortez again and go straight to the top. We don't have to play it their way.  How can we, or I, get into Crayne Consolidated?"  Rico wasn't planning on going in guns blazing, he could be a rational bloke. sometimes.
"What if I could have a chat with the," he had to cough again; it'd only been a small left he'd chewed on, but it was enough of a cough to stop him from finishing his sentence.

The distance Aria insisted on keeping wasn't exactly surprising, but it was new, though it was surprising to realise that the merc didn't like it.  She was uncomfortable, and who wouldn't be after her ordeal?
"I'm sorry," Rico decided to reel back to what Aria was wanting to get out of him with a softened tone, "for everything."
His gaze measured the distance kept between them as if he were gauging the width of a canyon - how far did he need to back up before attempting to close the distance again?
"I hope, you know I would never consciously want to hurt you," never. Aria was his only friend in the world, and the only person he could truly trust.  He knew that now more than ever.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 04:50:58 PM by Mad Murdock »

Rico Classified art by Jara

"It's not because he didn't hear you, or be able to speak, he's just not saying anything because he doesn't like your face."

"Your grasp of the English language never ceases to amaze me" - LovedthenhatedErskine [27 May 2015]

Astaphaios

• Plotmaster
  • Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2019, 11:21:43 PM »
 Aria wasn't sure how much she agreed that Ortez had to be a part of Crayne Consolidated, and she honestly couldn't say she'd agree with facing them off for anything. Rico could do that one on his own, for once.
 Hell, he fishing deserved to do that one on his own. After this. Though she kept her face schooled into a mild interest, her mind was still reeling a little bit.
 "Aranea is a vampire, yes. Her reputation is pretty... vicious, as well. Though that might mostly be because of Crayne. She deals with a lot of stuff in the company. If you wanted to see Crayne - who's a Lycan, by the way - the chances are you're definitely going to run shy of Aranea," Aria grimaced, "And if you do, then good luck, because I hear she plays with her food."
 It wasn't surprising to Aria at all that Aranea had someone keeping their head down in her presence. Of the very few visits that she'd made to the Sanctuary, the savagely beautiful woman was wreathed in so much fear that Aria was terrified of even glancing in her direction. Hell, she'd thought she'd been traumatised because of it. She didn't tell Rico any of this; she was tired of seeing that pity in his gaze.

Her warning went completely un-heeded as Rico immediately started asking about how to get into the building. Her lips parted but her reply died on her mouth.
 Which fishing building? Chicago? London? Any of the others in-between? She was tempted to say. It was a fishing business, not a Bond lair! There was no need to go about skulking in the shadows, and Aria Kane did not carry enough of a death wish to attempt to hack them!
 Dodge confronting Ortez again? The woman's right fishing outside, Rico! Stop running from your problems and fishing face up to them! You almost killed me, you WERE GOING to kill me-- Aria felt her face suddenly become shadowed, her jaw feathering, her eyes shuttering in annoyance. Her thoughts had become a jumble of very harsh thoughts directed towards Rico. Running off was not the answer, especially not right now -- what was he playing at?
 "You walk through the front door?" Aria suggested monotonously. "London tower is just across the City. You could grab a tube and make it there in record time, but that's where Voluntas usually runs things -- she may as well be the kingpin of London, really. Chicago tower is, obviously, in Chicago, but given that Silas Crayne is a CEO I doubt you'll get to meet him for your own personal vendetta." There was a pregnant pause before she continued. Rico was trying to wheedle her help for this one, and she supposed she could... Aria sighed. "I could send a message, I suppose. What with the events that have been happening in London, it would only look good on the business for them to meet with a Sanctuary official when asked. I can message Lady Aranea to get someone to meet Silas but... I can't guarantee anything."

At that, she was about to dismiss him before his apology reached her ears. It was funny, how two words could clang through her like a bell and leave her feeling more hollow than before.
 Sorry? Did sorry fix this? The petite woman didn't particularly think so. She kept her steely eyes trained on her arm as he spoke, but as always, Rico was a man of few words and hadn't offered much upon the subject. Especially nothing that would exactly have Aria clamouring to forgive him anytime soon.
 No, she did not forgive him. Even being this close to him. Sure, it wasn't him, but every movement he made had memories flashing into her mind. A few minutes that seemed longer than an eternity. Aria was suddenly well aware of how his ease of mobility was useful in a fight, how his fingers curled as if always readying to be around the handle of a gun. And that fishing glare. That glare wouldn't be just endearingly grumpy ever again, it would always be the glare of an attacker, carrying with it multiple layers of sinister intent.
 Aria didn't think she liked the elephant in the room being addressed, and she certainly didn't know what he wanted her to say. She was hurting, she was tired, and she didn't want to be thinking of it right now. He told her that knowing all this would hurt her, but it felt more like her ignorance had caused the damage, really.
 She was only broken from her reverie with the realisation that she'd become stiff as a board and was angrily staring at Rico in glacial silence. She coughed awkwardly and glanced away.
 "Yeah," Aria mumbled. "You're always sorry, aren't you. Let's just get this over with, Rico."
Quote from: Ash | The Dictator
Hate me later. Save us now.

Mad Murdock

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary Mage
    • Z'ev
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2019, 07:52:41 AM »
The information was served to Rico with an unmistakable amount of frost; he could feel the ice in her tone.  She loathed him right now, and so she should. It just didn't sit well with the unsociable Aussie.  He'd grown used to her kindness that he, well, took it for granted. Rico saw that now, and it was a mistake he was willing to amend but that was going to take time.  Her trust in him was surely broken, as observed by the way Aria reacted to the man's slightest of movements.  It provoked a quiet forlorn sigh from Rico as he was quickly identifying defeat, which wasn't the first time that he'd experienced it, though it was a first with a friend.

Though for as much as Aria detested him, she still lent her wisdom, even if it were delivered with a bored scowl. 
Crayne being a Lycan was news to the merc.  He knew the mage was powerful, but apparently in more ways than just his Mind-Walking.  If an interaction were to be had, Rico had no doubts that it wouldn't end in his favour if it were to turn South.
That scowl of her's only deepened the more Rico spoke; it was a debilitating glare to the man.  At this rate the plasma torch was going to be the least damaging to him all things considered.  With his shoulders slumped, Rico felt the need to apologise again - he felt would be how he'd live the rest of his life, apologising to everyone.  Though it was no use to them right now, Aria was sure to cold-shoulder him, and just overlook his words while that hatred continued to send her icy glare his way. Let's get this over with, as she said.

"Yeah," Rico's own tone fell flat, "and let's hope I don't get brainwashed again too."  He hadn't had the chance to fully explain his position, or what had exactly happened to her.  They'd barely scratched the surface.  But maybe they should save it for another time, if there were to be another time where both of them were comfortable again. 
For now, Rico was required to exit the room - he could feel the dismissive air from Aria.  She needed to see to her knee, and it was clear she wanted the merc to leave.  A more audible sigh was expressed through Rico's nose, and a troubled frown fell onto his face.  He was planning his route, and removing his hooded jacket at the same time, but he was coming up short of ideas. The table that'd been upturned he makes the effort to correct before placing his untidily folded jacket atop.  His loose fist rested on top of that while his forehead inclined forward slightly, as if he were concentrating on a headache.  But no, he was concentrating on something else, something that wasn't a gun but instead on conjuring a Cleaver's uniform over his current clothes.  The helmet materialized next to his jacket, and a scythe appeared in his free hand.
This was the best of three options he'd come up with; impersonating a Cleaver.  He'd be able to pull it off, just as long as he wasn't roped into defending the Sanctuary from it's inside threats.

Rico Classified art by Jara

"It's not because he didn't hear you, or be able to speak, he's just not saying anything because he doesn't like your face."

"Your grasp of the English language never ceases to amaze me" - LovedthenhatedErskine [27 May 2015]